Have you ever wondered how many other people decided to make the same choice as you when they got their new dogs? These are the 10 most popular dog breeds of 2019 according to this list from American Kennel Club. It may not be surprising to a lot of readers that the top of the list is the Labrador Retriever. The Labrador Retriever has historically been at the top of this list for the past 29 years in a row. So clearly, the world has a very dominant favorite when it comes to choosing dog breeds.
1. Labrador Retrievers – Topping the spot for many years is a clear favorite. Labrador Retrievers are a super friendly breed that has a very high spirit. They will adore the affection of the entire family and will have no problem handling it. Labrador Retrievers are a fantastic option for a family that is looking for a medium to large sized dog for the house.
2. German Shepherds – Coming in at number two on the list are German Shepherds, another fantastic breed. They have a few defining characteristics such as loyalty, confidence, and courage. They have always been thought of as canine royalty. All though they are used as police dogs and can be quite fierce, when it comes to family, they will be some of the gentlest dogs that you have ever seen.
3. Golden Retrievers – Next on the list at spot number three is one of Americas most popular breeds, the Golden Retriever. They are Scottish gun dogs that can make great hunters or help with field work. They are also used as guide dogs for the blind and even go as far as being used in search and rescue missions. They are an extremely versatile and intelligent breed that will be eager to please their owners.
4. French Bulldogs – Next on the list is the first of a smaller breed, the French Bulldog. French Bulldogs are almost a miniature Bulldog, except for their ears which are different. They are very muscular and strong dogs that will be extremely playful, adaptable, and alert. This breed is more popular among people who live in cities, because they require a lot less outdoor exercise compared to other breeds.
5. Bulldogs – Following French Bulldogs on the list is the larger size, or just the regular Bulldog. Bulldogs are a very heavy-set, muscular build that is very particular to only their breed. Bulldogs will need a little more exercise compared to French Bulldogs, and it is also important to watch their diet as they can get a little thick. They also do not handle hot or humid weather very well due to their short snout, so ideally you would be located in a colder climate.
6. Poodles – Coming in at spot number five on the list is the friendly Poodle. Poodles come in three different sizes: standard, miniatures, or toy. Many dog owners choose to get their Poodles shaved and there are also many different options on how you would like to get it shaved. They are a very eager and athletic breed as well as being intelligent. The standard size will be the most athletic compared to the other sizes, but all of them are willing to be trained to become the best.
7. Beagles – Beagles are an awesome breed that make good hunting dogs and are extremely loyal. They are the most popular hound dog in America, coming in two different sizes: on that is 13 inches, and one that will grow up to 15 inches. Beagles are always super happy and great companions, which makes them a great option for a family. They do require a little bit of exercise and attention, so if you are someone who likes to take your dogs out on a walk, they will love you.
8. Rottweilers – Next on the list is the courageous but calm, confident Rottweiler breed. Males will grow up to 27 inches while females will be a little bit smaller. They also have a very bulky muscular build, yet with family will be extremely gentle, but protective. They do require a lot of exercise and should have the opportunity to exercise at least daily.
9. German Short-haired Pointers – Coming in at number nine on the list is the German Short-haired Pointer, which is a medium sized breed, males will be up to 25 inches, and females will run a little smaller. They are a very enthusiastic gun dog breed that will require lots of exercise and love. They bond very closely to the family and will have endless energy while outdoors.
10. Pembroke Welsh Corgis – Last but not least on the list is the Pembroke Welsh Corgi. This is another smaller sized breed coming in at 12 inches maximum. They have extremely short legs however they are still strong, agile, and fast. They will love to play with the family and respond extremely well when trying to train them. This is another breed that loves to exercise and will be happiest when they get to exercise daily.
These ten breeds are currently the most popular dog breeds. It will be interesting to see how the positions change at the end of 2020; however, it seems that the Labrador Retriever will probably claim the top spot for the 30th year in a row. Golden Doodles have also been becoming and extremely popular dog breed so we will see if next year they will earn a spot on the list. Time will tell for which dog breeds will ultimately become the most popular, with shifts every year it is very possible that one breed will make the top ten one year but be dwarfed by another breed the next year.